Friday 15 May 2015

Summer Reads: 2015

With the ever nearing, warmly welcomed prospect of freedom from exams comes the equally welcomed prospect of my Summer holiday. I am a huge book advocate. I love reading. But one thing I love more than reading is reading in the sun.

Despite my love for alternate universes, I have been somewhat deprived of them lately. I've been forced to live in the "real world"- a concept I believe to be greatly overrated. The last book I read was completed within a 24 hour time frame.  The three books I've attempted since then were not so successful.

In my ever resilient nature I shall return to the pages of Amazon in the hope of finding the perfect pool-side read. But, for you, a list. 
A list of my favourite reads which urge you to Google.


  • Morgan Matson - Amy and Rodger's Epic Detour
If you're anything like me, even so much as hearing the word "road-trip" gets me excited. So a 368 page story following a journey from California to Connecticut is seemingly perfect. Matson's writing provides the perfect mixture of escapism and realism. However, my favourite part has to be the very cute, very cool scrapbook style pages between most chapters- complete with mixtape tracklists to set the scene.

  • Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games 
Okay, okay. Top marks for originality, I know. But in all honesty, the trilogy is worth a read. My favourite bit is the disturbing similarities between fictional and real life's dictatorship/inequality/suffering. Nothing quite like a light read.

  • Stephen Chbosky - The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Again, super original. But there's a reason this book is so popular. It's the kind of book that grows on you- the setting and characters developing slowly, somehow making it all the more meaningful. Themes of growing up and mental illness are largely addressed, and when paired with a wonderfully simple, yet remarkably profound narration, the book becomes increasingly charming, in it's own, wonderfully unexpected, way.

  • Jenny Han - The Summer I Turned Pretty
They say don't judge a book by it's cover, but you should also abstain from judging by it's title, too. It's not at cringe-y as it sounds, I promise. I was 14 when I read it. 14 year old me thoroughly enjoyed it, and that is the utmost of justifications. Han tells a tale not dissimilar to that of The Ugly Duckling, just more 2000s and less bird-like.

  • Rainbow Rowell - Fangirl 
You know when I said the last book I completed was in 24 hours? Well, this is it. Cringe-y when intended, funny when intended, and ever so slightly heart-melty when intended, this book had me hooked. If you do decide to take my ever-treasured advice and read Fangirl, just be prepared for the sidewards glances while grinning at a wad of paper. Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment